Maison du Festival

Overview

Located in the heart of the Quartier des spectacles, at the juncture of Ste. Catherine St. and the Place des Festivals, the Blumenthal Building, constructed in 1910, now houses the Maison du Festival. The Maison is a permanent headquarters for the promotion of jazz, blues and world music and also houses L'Astral, a versatile live showroom; Le Balmoral, a bistro-terrasse; the Galerie Lounge TD, dedicated to the promotion of visual arts; an exhibition hall; the Médiathèque Jazz/La Presse, an impressive jazz resource centre and cinémathèque accessible to the public free of charge; as well as a ticket office and a permanent boutique offering original gifts and souvenirs bearing the logos of the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal and the FrancoFolies de Montréal.

The Maison is housed in the Blumenthal Building—with its historic façade—which was ceded to the Festival via an emphyteutic lease by the Gouvernement du Québec, which also contributed over $10M. The Government of Canada contributed over $3M to the outfitting and development of the building.